- Formal nursing education began in Louisiana State University (LSU) System on the Baton Rouge campus.
Inaugural nursing courses taught at Charity Hospital on supervision, ward management, ward instruction and general education courses.
LSU System approved Bachelor of Science in Nursing Education (BSN Ed.) under the General Extension Division within Teachers’ College of LSU, Baton Rouge.
- First BSN Ed. Degree conferred.
- Admission to the LSU and Charity Hospital 5 year educational program discontinued.
- Initial membership in National League for Nursing (NLN).
- Louisiana State Board of Nurse Examiners grants initial accreditation to the Program in Basic Nursing.
- Two new curriculums awarding a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), a 4 year degree for high school
graduates and a 5 semester Specialized RN program leading to a BSN degree were initiated for nurses who were already licensed as a RN.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Education (BSN Ed.) degree was discontinued.
- Louisiana State Board of Nurse Examiners provides full approval of nursing educational programs.
- NLN onsite accreditation visit occurred resulting in the initial full accreditation of the basic nursing program.
- Sister Henrietta Guyot retires as Head of the Department of Nursing.
- Veronica Majchrzak, MS in Nursing Education appointed as Acting Head of the Department of Nursing until 1969.
- The separate 5 semester program for licensed RNs leading to a BSN discontinued.
- Geraldine F. Hofmann, MS appointed Acting Dean of the School of Nursing.
- June Anita Hannon, MA appointed Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Master of Nursing degree (MN) approved.
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree approved by LSU Board of Supervisors. Louisiana State Board of Nurse Examiners granted approval of ASN degree program.
- First Associate of Science in Nursing degree conferred. First Master of Nursing degree conferred.
- Continuing Nursing Education department initiated.
- June Hannon retires as Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Helen A. Dunn, DrPH appointed Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Master of Nursing degree granted initial NLN accreditation.
- School of Nursing relocated to 420 Prieur Street.
- Nursing Continuing Education Program receives initial accreditation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- School of Nursing relocated to 1900 Gravier Street.
- Doctor of Nursing Science (DNS) degree approved and initiated.
- First Doctor of Nursing Science (DNS) degree conferred.
- Sister Henrietta Guyot Professorship in Nursing established.
- Helen A. Dunn retires as Dean of the School of Nursing.
- St. Charles General Hospital Auxiliary Endowed Professorship in Nursing established.
- James B. and Helen Dunn Professorship in Nursing established.
- Elizabeth A. Humphrey, EdD appointed Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) granted initial accreditation to BSN and MN degrees.
- P. K. Scheerle, RN Professorship in Nursing established.
- Associate of Science in Nursing degree discontinued.
- Master of Nursing with a specialization in Nurse Anesthesia degree initiated.
- Tenet Health System/Jo Ellen Smith, BSN, Endowed Chair for Nursing Research established.
- First Master of Nursing with specialization in Nurse Anesthesia degree conferred.
- School of Nursing temporarily relocated to Baton Rouge at the LSU Systems Office, then to Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina.
- Graduate classes (MN & DNS) returned to New Orleans in January;
- Undergraduate classes returned to New Orleans in the summer.
- Elizabeth A. Humphrey retires as Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Demetrius J. Porche, DNS appointed as Dean of the School of Nursing.
- Tucker H. Couvillon III Professorship established for nursing research in Parkinson’s Disease
- Yvonne Sterling, PhD appointed as St. Charles General Hospital Auxiliary Professor of Nursing.
- Gloria Giarrantano, PhD appointed PK Scheerle Professor of Nursing.
- Leslie Pejic, PhD appointed Sister Henrietta Guyot Professor of Nursing.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with specialty in Nursing Education approved and first graduate students enrolled.
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) awarded 10 years of accreditation to the School of Nursing.
- First Master of Science in Nursing in Nursing Education degree conferred.
- RN Refresher Program approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing.
- LSUHSC School of Nursing celebrates over 75 years of educating nurses at the 75th Anniversary Gala.
Louisiana Center for Excellence Based Nursing established as an affiliate Center of the Joanna Briggs Institute
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree approved.
- Walgreens Take Care Clinic Partnership established.
- American Nurse Credentialing Center – Commission on Accreditation approves four year accreditation as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education
- LSU Health New Orleans School of Nursing/LSU Healthcare Network opened nurse managed clinics at Village de Jardin and Terraces on Tulane.
- Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) 26th Annual conference “Nurse Scientists as Crucial Partners to Health Delivery” hosted by LSUHSC School of Nursing at the New Orleans Hilton
- National Student Nurses Association recognizes the Student Nurses Association of LSUHSC – Son as a Stellar School Chapter
- Epsilon Nu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society celebrates 30 year Anniversary at the Annual induction Ceremony.
- Council on Accreditation for Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs approved the post-masters DNP Nurse Anesthesia concentration and
the BSN to DNP Nurse Anesthesia concentration.
- First cohort of post-master’s DNP students enrolled.
- Louisiana State Nurses Association recognizes the School of Nursing as the Nightingale School of the Year for “Entry into Practice.”
- 80th Anniversary celebrated at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.
- First Post-Masters Doctor of Nursing Practice students Graduate in December.
- First cohort of BSN to DNP Nurse Anesthesia students enrolled.
- First cohorts of BSN to DNP students in the primary care family nurse practitioner, neonatal nurse practitioner, adult/gerontology clinical nurse specialist, executive nurse leader, and public/community health role and population focus areas are enrolled.
- The LSU Health New Orleans Interprofessional Care Management Program was awarded one of six Association of American Medical Colleges 2013 Clinical Care Innovation Challenge Awards.
- The LSU Health New Orleans School of Nursing/LSU Healthcare Network opened a nurse managed primary care clinic for employee health at the LSU Health New Orleans downtown campus.
- The first cohort of the CPRIDE Faculty Mentorship Program began.
- Academic undergraduate honors program entitled Mentoring Undergraduate Students for Excellence in Scholarship (MUSES) was initiated.
- The School of Nursing, in partnership with the School of Dentistry, opened the Dental and Medical Primary Care Clinic at the School of Dentistry.
- School of Nursing designated as an NLN Center of Excellence for 2015-2019 in recognition of sustained efforts to “Create Environments that Promote the Pedagogical Expertise of Faculty.”
- School of Nursing presented with a Childhood and Family Learning Foundation Whole Child Champion Award.
- Recognized as the Nursing School of the Year for Entry into Practice by the Louisiana State Nurses Association.
- School of Nursing recognized as the Nursing School of the Year for Graduate Degree Programs by the Louisiana State Nurses Association.
- New MSN program, Clinical Nurse Leader, is initiated.