Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Dean's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Admissions
The LSU Health New Orleans School of Nursing (LSUHNO SON) is committed to creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for students by addressing the racial and structural inequities that lead to health disparities in marginalized, underrepresented, and underserved populations. The SON is dedicated to use an inclusive admissions framework that allows trained faculty and staff to capture the experiences, attributes, and metrics (EAMs) of each qualified applicant. Individualized consideration of an applicant’s potential contributions to the SON, the nursing profession, and the community.
Inclusive Admissions Mission:
The mission of the LSUHNO SON is to attract applicants that are diversely experienced in life, leadership, community, and healthcare from varied educational backgrounds.
Inclusive Admissions Goals:
Educating nursing students in inclusive environments that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, leading to the success of the student, the SON, and the nursing profession. During the educational process, the LSUHNO SON administration, faculty, and staff will:
- Educate an inclusive student body who are culturally sensitive to serve the needs of diverse population across/within a variety of environments.
- Develop leaders who influence and shape the future of nursing and healthcare.
- Foster student development in becoming contributing citizens of the nursing profession.
- Interview skills
- Discussion of experiences or stories demonstrating attributes
- Reference Letter(s)
- Questions will specifically ask about experiences and attributes
- Personal Statement
- Guided by discussion questions
- First generation
- Ethnicity, gender identity/sexual orientation, and/or physical ability
- HESI A²/GRE
- Reference letters
- Official transcripts
- Proctored essay