Training and Certification
The LSU SANE Program is dedicated to educating qualified nurses in the art of the forensic sexual assault examinations of women, men, and children. The program will financially support the IAFN didactic training, 2-day clinical experiences, a mock trial, all required continuing education, an examination review course, and the certification examination.
Becoming a certified SANE is a four step process and the LSU School of Nursing is dedicated to educating and certifying nurses to meet the needs of the residents of Louisiana.
- Step 1: The online didactic course through the IAFN. www.forensicnurses.org
- SANE-A or SANE-P courses are available
- Step 2: Successfully complete the 2-day skills training/check offs with certified SANEs. This step will involve examinations of live models.
- Step 3: Complete 300 required practice hours by the IAFN (See website for what qualifies to be counted as hours)
- Step 4: Take the certification examination. LSU SON will provide a review course prior to the examination and pay for the certification exam.