Registration Information for Undergraduate Students
All BLS Certifications MUST be current for an entire semester. Students are not permitted to renew after the semester starts.
The SON offers BLS Skills Checkoffs for undergraduate students during the months of:
- June and July
- November and December
All students must have BLS certification from the American Heart Association. Completion of other courses (eg, Heartsaver or First Aid courses offered by the American Red Cross) are not accepted.
Please follow the instructions below. Completion of the online component and the skills checkoff are both required for BLS certification.
- Step 1. Complete the HeartCode™ BLS online portion: https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartcode-bls.html. You will pay the AHA directly for this portion of the course. Complete this portion before the day of your skills checkoff class as it will take a couple of hours to complete.
- Step 2. Print the completion certificate. Note: You MUST bring the completion certificate to the skills checkoff. Skills check-offs will not be done without the printed completion certificate.
- Step 3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the date and time of the class you would like to attend (see schedule below). The average class time is 2.5 hours.
- Step 4. In class, students will practice and test BLS skills using manikins and case-based scenarios. BLS Provider cards are emailed within 24 hours of successful completion of required skills.
Cost of the BLS Skills Checkoff is $30. Fees are paid to LSUHNO School of Nursing. If you schedule a class and then cancel, there will be an additional re-scheduling fee of $20.
- The LSUHNO School of Nursing accepts payment by check or money order (payable to LSUHNO School of Nursing) and by credit card. Cash payment is not accepted.
- If paying by credit card, click this link: https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1758465 (with service fee total is $35.44)
- Payment in full is due at the beginning of the skills checkoff class.
TO REGISTER: Choose ONE (1) of the dates and times below, and email email@example.com with the preferred date and time to attend. You will receive an email confirmation with the date, time, and location of the course.
BLS Skills Checkoff Course Dates for Undergraduate Students (each class lasts approximately 2.5 hours):
Monday, November 18th – 8:30 am
Tuesday, November 19th – 8:30 am and 12:30 pm
Monday, November 25th – 8:30 am
Wednesday, December 4th – 8:30 am and 12:30 pm
Tuesday, December 10th – 8:30 am and 12:30 pm
Thursday, December 19th – 8:30 am and 12:30 pm
Additional dates may be added as needed.
Each class can hold between 6 and 12 students so courses fill quickly.
The class/lecture uniform policy applies to class attendance and/or anytime the student is on campus between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm. This includes attendance at BLS Checkoff classes. If you are an incoming student and you do not have your uniforms yet, please wear something comparable – a polo shirt tucked in to navy or black slacks. Do not wear shorts, jeans, leggings, yoga pants, tank tops, or flip flops on campus. Students with long hair should bring a hair tie/ponytail holder.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org