Process for Researchers Not Affiliated with LSUHNO SON Wishing to Conduct Research and/or Collect Data
LSU Health New Orleans School of Nursing has in place a policy and procedure governing those not affiliated with LSUHNO or LSUHNO SON who wish to conduct research and/or collect data. The policy and procedure will apply in the following circumstances:
- Requests from individuals not affiliated with LSUHNO SON to conduct research/collect research data using LSUH-NO SON faculty, students, and/or staff; and
- Requests from individuals not affiliated with LSUHNO SON to conduct research/collect research data using LSUHNO SON existing databases or other records (except in the case where FERPA applies, in which such pertinent records are protected).
Any request from individuals not affiliated with LSUHNO SON to conduct research/collect research data using LSUHNO SON faculty, students, and/or staff, or existing databases or records, must be reviewed by the Office of Nursing Research, Scholarship & Science and the Administrative Council to determine regulatory and human subject protection measures as well as priority, feasibility, potential for conflict of interests, and logistics.
- The contact person for all proposed research requests from persons external, not affiliated with LSUHNO SON, is the Associate Dean for Nursing Research, Scholarship & Science, in the Office of Nursing Research, Scholarship and Science (ONRSS).
- When an external researcher or graduate student wishing to conduct research, contacts the ONRSS, they are asked to supply the following information and documentation:
- Consent Forms
- A copy of IRB approval or exemption from their IRB of record, which contains the Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) number
- Evidence of completion of research ethics/human subject protection coursework (for example, CITI Course) needs to be submitted as part of the review packet.
- The Associate Dean for ONRSS will review the materials and contact the investigator(s) as necessary to explain exactly how the SON will be involved in the project and how the data will be collected with the least disruption of activity and flow at the SON. The proposal will also be reviewed to determine if it is in accord with LSUHNO Chancellor’s policies and LSU System Policies.
- Based on this information, the Associate Dean of ONRSS will present the proposal and make a recommendation at the next Administrative Council meeting. This recommendation will include a decision about whether LSUHNO SON should be mentioned as the location of the research/data collection.
- The Administrative Council will discuss acceptability, feasibility and logistics, and vote whether or not to allow the research/data collection to occur at the SON.
- The Associate Dean for ONRSS will communicate with the external investigator(s) and convey the results of the Administrative Council vote.
- In the event that the research activities are approved, the Associate Dean for ONRSS will act as the SON liaison for the external researcher.
- The SON requests a copy of all final results of the research.
*Failure to provide these materials, especially IRB approval or exemption, disallows any research activity.*
Currently, the acting representative is Alison Davis, Interim Associate Dean for Nursing Research, Scholarship and Science. All materials to be reviewed in the request should be submitted to Alison Davis via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquires can be accepted via phone at 504-568-5139. Alison Davis will forward all documents to the Research and Scholarly Endeavors Committee for the LSUHNO SON, who is acting as the reviewer and provides the recommendation to Administrative Council in the absence of the permanent Associate Dean for Nursing Research, Scholarship, and Science.