Student Veterans of America
The SON Student Veterans of America (SVA) chapter at LSUHSC is open to all military and military-affiliated students and alumni. Our mission is to provide resources, network, support, and advocate for educational, professional, and social opportunities, and continued selfless service beyond graduation. Membership in the SVA chapter at LSUHSC confers membership in the national SVA organization.
Monday, August 28, 2023, 12:00pm-1:00pm, Seminar 2
Monday, September 25, 2023, 12:00pm-1:00pm, Seminar 2
Monday, October 23, 2023, 12:00pm-1:00pm, Seminar 2
Membership InformationNew members of SVA are welcomed to join by attending a meeting. Chapter dues are paid at the beginning of the semester. Membership is open to the following:
- Any nursing student enrolled in at least one credit hour with the LSUHNO SON who is a veteran, reservist, National Guard, or active-duty service member.
- Any student who has graduated from LSUHNO SON and is a veteran, reservist, National Guard, or active duty service member may be an Alumni member.
- Honorary. Any member that does not fall into the above two categories, including but not limited to LSUHNO SON Dean, students, and faculty/staff members with the family that are military-affiliated.
First Time Using Your Education Benefits?Contact your unit’s education liaison. Refer to the following hyperlinks according to your respective military component. https://www.lsuhsc.edu/registrar/va/
- Active Duty - Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill and Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill provides educational benefits for up to 36 months. For more information click the link below.
- Chapter 33 post 9/11 GI Bill provides educational benefits if you served active duty after September 10, 2001. To qualify you must have served at least 90 days of active duty.
- National Guard - Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill selective reserve and State Tuition Exemption Program (STEP)
- STEP is available to NG members to receive free tuition. To qualify for STEP the guardsmen must be drilling actively, living in Louisiana, in good standing with the Louisiana National Guard, and in good academic standing with their university.
- The GI Bill and GI Bill Kicker can be used with STEP.
- If you qualify for TOPs you cannot use STEP and TOPs at the same time. However, if you have “Honors” or “Performance” TOPS, you will still receive your annual stipend.
- Reserves - Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill selective reserve and the Reserves Education Assistance Program (REAP)
- Dependents - Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assitance (DEA)
- DEA offers opportunities in training and education to eligible dependents of veterans who have died or are permanently and totally disabled due to service-related conditions while on active duty.For more information click the link below.
- Military Science Courses